I Am The Poemby Alvin G. Ens
Ensa Publishing, 2005
Victoria, B.C., Canada
Perfect bound, 96pp
$16.00 (US) postage paid
Send check or money order to: Alvin G. Ens, 3947 Paradise Place, Abbotsford, BC, CANADA V2S 8E3
About the Poet:
Alvin Ens is a semi-retired high school English teacher who has dabbled in writing poetry, short fiction and the occasional non-fiction piece through the years but now has more time to do so. He is a member of the Canadian Poetry Association, MSA Poets Potpourri Society (Abbotsford, BC) and Fraser Valley Christian Writers Group (Abbotsford, BC).
Alvin G. Ens' credits include:
• Sept. 2006 MSA Poets Potpourri Society (Abbotsford, BC) published Spirits of the Valley of which Alvin Ens was the editor. The anthology committee chose four of his pieces to be published.
• Fall 2006, Inscribe Christian Fellowship awarded Ens's "Licorice" a second place award for fiction.
• June 2006 Word Guild Canadian Awards gave his book, I Am the Poem, a winner award in their Special Books category.
• Poemata, Canadian Poetry Association, has published several of his poems: Oct–Dec, 2005, "Sorrel" Spring–Summer 2005, "Out to Pasture" and "Gazer's Digest"
• Sept. 2005, Canadian Writer‚s Journal gave an honourable mention to his short fiction "Pumpkins"
• His book of poetry, I Am the Poem, was released in 2005.
• He is a quarterly feature contributor to the The Abbotsford News ( Abbotsford, BC) in the "Religion" pages.
• He has a short story and a poem published by Trevor Carolon (University College of the Fraser Valley): in Down in the Valley: An Anthology of Writing from the Fraser Valley released October, 2004.
• Event magazine published "Which Came First" in their fall 2004 issue.
• February, 2004. He placed 4th and 7th for two poems submitted to the Cecelia Lamont Literary Contest (White Rock and Surrey Writers Club).
• He has two poems published in a Penticton Writers' anthology (June, 2004): To Hope and Beyond: Tales and Poems of BC.
• 2003. Castle Quay short-listed his manuscript of short fiction.
• 2002. He published a book of religious poetry, Musings on the Sermon. The Word Guild Canadian Writing Awards gave it an Award of Merit as one of two runners up to the best self published Canadian Christian book of 2002.
• 2002. The Canadian Church Press awarded one of his poems (published in a religious journal) an honourable mention.
• 2001. He was short listed in the Shaunt Basmajian Award (Canadian Poetry Association) for a chapbook manuscript.
• His prose and poems have been published in The Vancouver Sun (Voices feature), Skylark (Saskatchewan English Teachers) and in Update (BC English Teachers).
• His poetry and short fiction have been published in a variety of religious periodicals: BC Christian News, The Mennonite, Canadian Mennonite, Mennonite Brethren Herald, Christian Leader, Christian Living, Prairie Messenger, Utmost Christian Writers (website).
• His writings are found in several anthologies: Harvest: Anthology of Mennonite Writing in Canada (1974), Echoes from the Valley (Langley Writers' Guild, 1984) and Colours of Life (MSA Poets Potpourri Society — Abbotsford, BC, 2002).