Free Poetry Contest Rules
In celebration of National Poetry Month (April), we sponsored the "Free April Contest" with $100 in cash prizes. This contest closed on April 30, 2009 and is no longer accepting entries.
If you are interested in winning cash prizes for your poetry—as much as $1500—be sure to check out our other contests for poets of Christian faith, some of which require entry fees.
Rules for the Free April Contest:
1. This contest is open to all poets. You do not need to be a member of Utmost Christian Writers to enter this contest. You need not agree with any statement of religious faith. This is an open contest.
2. Your poem must be your original work, not someone else's work.
3. Your poem must not be available for public reading anywhere on the Internet. It must not have been previously published on the Internet or in print.
4. Your poem must be sent by email with the subject line: Free April Contest. For this contest we accept only email submissions, nothing by postal mail. (Be sure to use an email address that is current or permanent. Winners who do not respond to our notice that they have won a prize will forfeit that prize.) Include your poem in your email; no attachments, please!
5. Your poem cannot exceed 40 lines in length.
6. Your poem may be on any subject you wish. (We reserve the right to disqualify work that is obscene or contains inappropriate subject matter.)
7. You may submit ONE POEM ONLY to this contest. If you submit more than one poem, all your entries will be disqualified.
8. Your submission MUST include your real name; no pen names or pseudonyms.
9. Entries will be accepted from March 15 to April 30. The deadline for the Free April Contest is April 30, 2009 at midnight (MST). We must receive your entry by that date and time.
10. Poems may be rhymed or free verse. Poems will be judged for originality, poetic quality and literary excellence.
11. Four (4) winners will receive cash prizes of $25 each, as well as publication by Utmost Christian Writers Foundation.
12. Winners will be announced at this web site on May 31, 2009. All prizes will be awarded.
13. By entering our contest, you authorize us to post your winning poem on our web site for public viewing, although you retain all other rights to your work.
14. Winners will be contacted by email, and prizes will be sent to winners by first class postal mail or by Internet payment as they desire.